Monday, January 14, 2008

Hoax abduction drama shocks police



Baba Umar


Srinagar, Jan 13: An abduction drama of a minor which started Sunday morning in Batamaloo area ended in the evening when the alleged kidnapper, also a minor, visited the police station, claiming he was not involved in any abduction.
Suhail Ahmad Wani, 12, claimed to have managed to run away way from a 16-year-old rag picker Bashir Ahmad who allegedly abducted him Thursday evening from Batamaloo bus stand.“He took me to his rented room and locked me there for three days,” said Wani, who is currently with the Police.“I gave him a slip when I left at 9 am and reached my aunt’s place in Eidgah at 11 am,” Wani said.
Wani’s relatives said that they filed a missing report of the boy at Safakadal Police Station.“We gave him money to buy eatables from the market but he didn’t return,” said one of Wani’s uncles.Wani’s relatives, who were outside the police station for hours kept demanding the immediate arrest of Bashir Ahmed.

However, Bashir Ahmed along with the owner of the house he is putting up in also arrived at the Police Station in the evening. Ahmad claimed that he took pity on Wani after who lost his way in the area and brought him to his room.“He was crying and I thought he had gone astray,” said Ahmad. “He wished to work with me and even accompanied me for two days when I went to collect rags.”

Coming to Ahmed’s rescue, the house owner said that Wani was lying and he had been staying in his house with Ahmed for the last four days.“One a day back, Wani told me that Ahmed was his relative,” Bashir Ahmad Gilkar, the house owner said. “He even played cricket with the children outside. He never complained that he had been abducted.”

Meanwhile, police officials who are examining the case said they are investigating and it might be the case of mix-up from both sides. They said the boy will be handed over to his relatives after proper investigation.

No comments: