Wednesday, February 13, 2008

When power cuts mean ‘Fun’

Baba Umar

Heavy snow and rains, and within a jiffy, the bulbs fade and lights go off. And the most common noise one can hear in the locality at that time is a loud 'Gou power' asserting utter displeasure. Why not, after all the abrupt power cut might have interrupted your much-loved television soap, film, computer work, reading, and many other important activities.
Power cuts are frequent during snowy season and we rely so much on electricity that we get rankled when there is a power failure.
Ishfaq Ahmad, a Medico says: “I simply cannot figure out what to do on a power cut. I know I cannot do anything, I simply wait uncomplainingly for the light to reappear."
However, Ali Malik, a computer student, thinks the other way. He says he enjoys power cuts when the snow is falling.
“In my locality, the lights usually go off during snowfall. When people complain of falling wires or power disruption, I just sit in my veranda and watch the snow flakes. It is really enjoyable."
Ali’s uncle, Asif Malik, a retired Tourist Officer, feels the power cuts take him to his childhood. He says, he along with his friends would make snow-man and dupe family members with ‘Sheene Sharat-a forgotten play now’. He says getting wood from the nearby snow clad slopes too was a treat.
"I was brought up in a small village of Uri and electricity was something new for me. When there is a power failure, I get pleasure from the serenity around, with no raucous noise or musical gadgets,” he says. “I like to stand by my window, just look at the white skies and enjoy the peace."
Then there are others who take the power cuts for good omen. They believe it brings the family around one gas lamp plus innumerable tales of Granny for little kids.
“On evenings," says, a home maker, "I think it would be enjoyable to have a dinner at home with my family members for the period of a power cut instead of complaining about it."
So next time, there is an abrupt power disruption, do not curse the power department; instead, take fun out of it.

No comments: